The Institute, with its headquarters in Kaduna, operates through a network of 6 Zonal and 37 State offices and over 400 study centres. The organizational structure of the Institute comprises:
- Office of the Director-General & Chief Executive.
- Registry and Council Affairs
- Department of Field Operations & Students Services.
- School of Teacher Professional Development, Research and Examinations.
- School of Undergraduate Studies
- School of Postgraduate Studies
The Zonal Offices are located in Abuja (North Central), Bauchi (North East), Benin (South South), Enugu (South East), Ibadan (South West), and Kano (North West).
The Institute has an office in each of the 36 States and FCT. Tutorials, examinations, tutor-student interaction, student-student interaction, counselling, etc take place in the Study Centres all over the country.