Functions of the Institute
The enabling Law mandates the Institute to:
- upgrade under-qualified and untrained teachers.
- conduct post-graduate courses and examinations in education for graduate teachers.
- provide refresher and other upgrading courses for teachers.
- organize workshops, seminars and conferences, which would assist in the improvement of teachers.
- conduct examinations.
- carry out research in conjunction with other bodies on any matter relevant to educational development in the country.
- formulate policies and initiate programmes at all levels of education designed to improve by way of research the quality and content of education in Nigeria.
- assess from time to time the training programmes offered by Institutions controlled by or associated with the Institute with a view to ascertaining the professional competence of those Institutions.
- offer such assistance, either alone or in co-operation with educational bodies as may be required by the Institutions controlled by or associated with the Institute.
- foster and enhance international co-operation in the education of teachers; and perform such other functions as are necessary or expedient for the full discharge of all the functions of the Council under this Decree.