The National Teachers’ Institute, Kaduna is a single mode distance education institution dedicated to teacher training. It was established in 1976 by the Federal Government primarily because of the pressing needs in the country for trained and qualified teaching staff at all levels of the educational system.
Act No. 7 of 10th April 1978 establishing the Institute charged it among others with the responsibility of: providing courses of instruction leading to the development, upgrading and certification of teachers as specified in the relevant syllabus using distance education techniques.
The vision of the Institute is to enhance the professional skills of serving teachers for high quality education delivery at primary and secondary education levels with a view to uplifting the standard of the education system of the country.
To upgrade/update teachers knowledge and skills in curriculum implementation while instilling in them the virtues of dedication, loyalty, commitment, discipline and resourcefulness.
The Institute’s vision shall be realized through the pursuit of the following goals:
- producing teachers trained and oriented to meet the challenges of twenty first century Nigerian society;
- nurturing a commitment to lifelong learning that is creative, innovative, and responsive to changes in the world of knowledge and the changing needs;
- designing and enriching subject content to ensure that the teacher-trainees attain a high level of mastery of the subject matter;
- building the capacity of teacher- trainees in the use of effective communication skills and relevant technologies for the delivery of quality education;
- strengthening the Institute’s monitoring , evaluation and feedback mechanism to ensure effective and efficient service delivery;
- developing capacity for effective selection and deployment of relevant technology including Information and Communication Technology for effective Distance Learning delivery;
- establishing effective research capability in order to ensure that all the Institute’s programmes are based on scientifically established grounds in terms of who needs training and the content of training required;
- reviewing and revitalizing in-service training and retraining programme for all categories of teachers, school administrators and school supervisors;
- regularly reviewing and restructuring curricula of all the Institute’s programmes to bring them in line with changing realities;